Saturday, June 19, 2010

Jay Mathews, The Washington Post


"Why don't we unleash the creativity of educators, parents, and students and find ways to improve schools without more spending? Here are seven ideas I came up with, in consultation with teachers I know...


#5...Have every high school student read at least one non-fiction book before graduation. I am not talking about textbooks. Will Fitzhugh, publisher of The Concord Review, a journal of high school research papers, has been campaigning for nonfiction school reading. I was surprised, when I looked into it, how overloaded high school reading lists are with fiction. Non-fiction, with all those facts, is often more challenging for this age group. Good. If every English teacher substituted one non-fiction book for one novel on the required list, schools would improve without any extra expense.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment