Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tianhao He

June 19, 2010


Will Fitzhugh, Founder
The Concord Review
730 Boston Post Road, Suite 24
Sudbury, Massachusetts 01776


Dear Mr. Fitzhugh,


It has been a little over a year since I first heard about
The Concord Review in March 2009. As my Junior year draws to a close, I can proudly say that the publication of my essay in this prestigious journal has been one of the highlights of my school year. From reading scholarly articles under the mid-July sun to plowing through Alexander Hamilton's lengthy economic reports while snow was piling up outside my window, my journey in writing my research paper on Hamilton for The Concord Review was one of tremendous growth and opportunity.

In many ways, completing this independent research project was much like building a house, in terms of the personal initiative and industry that it took. From a mere list of ideas on a sheet of notebook paper to an 11,200-word essay within the pages of
The Concord Review, I was able to craft a product that was unique and that reflected the insights I had gained from an enormous (to me) amount of research and analysis. What was truly remarkable about this opportunity was that it allowed me to combine my passion for writing with my passion for subjects like history, economics, and government. From a (HS) student author's perspective, the rigorous process of researching, writing, and revising that this project entailed was an active learning experience that allowed me to improve my skills in critically analyzing academic material and in drawing my own conclusions supported by evidence. The countless hours I spent on this project were all worth it. The beauty of it all is that the skills I gained through this experience carry over not only to the classroom but also to all of the future academic endeavors upon which I embark.

But most importantly, writing a research paper for
The Concord Review was FUN! I found great joy in learning new things from every page I read, and it is this genuine passion for learning that I think The Concord Review so effectively cultivates in budding scholars. Whenever anyone asks me about my paper after seeing my picture in our school's library of our principal and me holding the Spring 2010 issue of The Concord Review, the first thing I tell them is that I spent so much time writing this paper because I enjoyed it and because it was fun.

The Concord Review has opened many paths for me, all of which I look forward to exploring with enthusiasm. The opportunity for students that is afforded by The Concord Review is simply invaluable, and I would like to offer my sincerest gratitude for all that you have made possible for me and for so many student authors over the past 20 volumes of this unique journal.


With great appreciation,
Tianhao He, Class of 2011
Walter Johnson High School
Bethesda, Maryland

No comments:

Post a Comment